Thursday 29 January 2009

Book Case

I've been looking at Neal Asher's posts about bookcases. I think the clue is in the title. We have just been updating our dining/living room from the 1930's to the noughties which meant all the bookcases are gone for now and books consigned to boxes in the loft.

However I do have a small bookcase in the bedroom and have collected the various piles of books and stacked them thus




Apologies to Mr Asher. None of your books on display. About 90% of my books are in the loft and I didn't want to wake  Alice up.

You may have noticed the cricket bat in shot. Well the thing is I have been left to my own devices tonight and thought I would try to amalgamate a feature called crap fantasy covers from Speculative Horizons with real life. To this end I have been waving willow about in the living room with my most fearsome scowl and cack footedness trying to figure out how this guy is not going to get killed.

 

His hands are the wrong way round on the sword/cricket bat, his feet are in the wrong place (not to the pitch of the ball) Fuck me this is where Kevin Peterson got the switch hit idea.

Which brings me to my final thought

This is the picture I have in the office just to remind me of The Preposterous Bollox of the Situation

3 comments:

Elena said...

i love how his chest strap/barbarian bandalier looks more like a chain between his wrist cuff and whatever is girding his loins. this could perhaps explain his preposterous combat pose. he is having to choose which pain takes him down and is prefering the enemy sword to self-inflicted castration.

Swainson said...

If the guy's got any balls left after the severe case of frostbite in the offing I'll be more than a little surprised.

The cover is beyond shit but the stories in it are good. I have spent too much time on eBay and have more where that came from!!

Neal Asher said...

Hah, reminds me of all those Robert E Howard books I once used to own.